If you have a car, you need a safe and secure garage door. The garage door and its openers also need to be working properly. But there are times when the garage door won’t open immediately. You do not have to replace your garage door entirely once it acts acting up on you. All you need to do is undertake some garage door repairs and all will be well. You can undertake the simple repairs on your own or you can seek the services of a professional.
There are several questions you need to ask though:
• Why do I need to repair the garage door?
• What is involved in the repair works?
• What kind of garage door and opener do I have?
• Do I have the skill for the work?
Garage door repair process In the eventuality that your garage door does not work properly and smoothly, it is good for you to have some tips on how to repair it. Garage doors are fairly easy to repair when you know the parts like the springs, reels and belts. You need to check all the parts of the garage door and service them instead of just looking at the broken part.
Here is what you need to do:
- The tracks on the opener might be loose making the door drag.
- Tighten the screws and bolts but if the tracks are completely damaged it would be advisable to replace them entirely.
- Check whether the tracks are aligned properly both of them on the two sides are supposed to be of the same height.
- To align the tracks, you need to do it while the bolts are loose and by tapping on them to bring them to position.
- While at it, clean the tracks with clean warm water which removes the old grease and any dirt that might have accumulated.
- Wipe the rollers dry and grease them again.
- You can shake the door a bit to see whether there are some loose hardware.
- If there are, tighten the bolts and screws.
- Look at the hinges, and if they are loose, tighten them.
- If they might be damaged beyond repair, just replace them with new ones.
The opener handles might be damaged or saggy, tighten them and test them whether they hold the door well in place when opening and closing. The next important parts to check are the springs. They are supposed to be attached on the walls on the two sides of the door. Clean them and oil them. You can use household oil, silicon spray or lubricant spray. If working on the springs becomes a bit difficult, unhook the springs from the notches. This will help to ease the tension and enable you to service them. Make sure you return them to the same notches but if they are a bit loose, most doors have extra holes to adjust the tension. Remember that your safety is very important when undertaking the repairs. Do not make any changes or adjustments on the door unless you are completely sure. No one else should be under the door when you are doing it either.